Ah, San Diego Comic-Con news season. Or even on a Sunday, we can have a jam-packed edition of Under the Tents for you, with exclusive previews for Udon and Loyal Subjects, art updates from Ethan Castillo and Dan Veesenmeyer, and more.
Here’s a look at some of the news you might have missed:
- We’re going to hear the bad news right away and rip it off like a band-aid. wild dragon designer Erik Larsen will not be able to attend SDCC this year (but can try to tell you it was there).
- Well, that wasn’t so bad, was it? As a metaphorical lollipop for your boo-boo, we found a trio of SDCC announcements from The Loyal Subjects. First, they shredded their Instagram feed with some sneak peeks of their SDCC exclusive. TMNT Infantry. Then they racked up significant damage with their Arcade-Damaged TMNT action figures inspired by the classic NES game (kids, ask your parents). Finally, The Loyal Subjects will rock and roll all night (and party every day) during SDCC with their new KISS figures on display (they’ll be available later this summer at Walmart). There’s a lot going on at booth #2544 this year.
- There’s going to be carnage at Table #AA-01 in Artists Alley this year. The super talented Ethan Castillo tweeted a few more of his Spidey post-its; this time with a little Carnage added.
- If you’ve read our site a lot, you probably know artist Dan Veesenmeyer for his work on LEGO and now the new Hasbro Marvel Legends x-men VHS sets. But did you know that he was also a screenwriter on x-men the animated series? This year marks the 30th anniversary of the cartoon classic, and to celebrate there will be signs – and Veesenmeyer is working on a new print idea using his storyboards from the series. We can’t wait to see the end result.
- Amit Khosla, artist-in-residence at the Veterans Art Project, which provides art therapy to veterans, active-duty service members and their spouses, will join other artists for the panel “Veterans in the Arts and pop culture” at the SDCC this year.
- Udon has something MEGA exciting happening at San Diego Comic-Con. Artist Udon Petefighter exhibited supports for this year megaman metal decks, and they look great. We’ll have a full preview of this year’s map sets on our site once Udon announces it.
- Get ready for those sick beats, Her Universe Fashion Show fans. DJ Amanda Jones has revealed that she will once again be the show’s DJ this year.
- Artist Christian Wagoner star wars The Reflection Series will be on display at ACME Archive Booth #5629, and prints will be available for purchase as paper or canvas. Wagoner will also be on hand for live painting and signings.
- Jeff Pina has more original art for San Diego Comic-Con, including these star wars and star trek work in progress there exhibited.
- Artist and Illustrator Dawn Wolf took a look at Twitter to the new canvas prints she will be bringing to Small Press #N-07 during San Diego Comic-Con, with the original painting up for grabs at the SDCC Art Show auction.
- Ringo’s award-winning screenwriter, David Pepose, will be at the SDCC this summer – and he’ll be on at least one Marvel panel, though details are yet to be determined beyond that.
- Pin-up Olivia De Berardinis exhibited a new Chat Noir print, Diamond Dust – and mentioned she would be exhibiting at booth #2129-B with Tweeterhead.
- BossLogic Artist can bring some of his Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Blu-Rays, featuring his artwork and previously only available in Australia. It’ll only be 10 or 20, so if you want it, head to SMZ Comics Booth #4645.
Something we missed? Let us know in the comments, write or tweet us at @SD_Comic_Con.
If you missed our previous Under the Tents 2022 articles, you can find them HERE.